Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Yoga of Car Accidents


The ‘attack’ of the shopping bag occurred while driving on the highway with open windows. The wind carried a bag that flew into my face, blocked my vision and lead me to swerve off the road. I crashed into the median and flipped the car over taking (what I think was) a couple of rolls.
Once the car went from spinning to flipping there was nothing I could do to control it. I closed my eyes, stayed clam and waited for the movement to come to an end. I felt the body release its tension as it took its last few tumbles. Once coming to a halt, I unbuckled my seat belt and crawled out through the window of my upside down vehicle.
As the airbag had never inflated, (thanks Toyota) I had hit my head badly on the steering wheel and was bleeding heavily. The medics had covered my nose and eyes with bandages and I was taken to the ER.
For the next 4 hours of care my eyes remained shut from swelling and bandages. Without the stimulation of sight, I stayed fully focused on my internal experience of thoughts, emotions and patterns of breath. Each time a thought would bring a sense of panic, I’d return to my deep rhythm of breathing and the anxiety would subside.
As I was being stitched up, I could hear a woman in the other room screaming, more from fear than pain. It is so easy for us all to get trapped in the fear if we don’t access the tools to bring us back to center.
I am so grateful for my yoga training that had enabled to release my muscles at a time of extreme tension, minimizing the impact of the crash, and has taught me ‘breath awareness’ to transform my experience to a lesson in healing rather than pain.

8 comments:

Deb Perugi said...

What a story, that a piece of trash could cause such devastation. There's an environmental lesson here too. So glad you survived so gracefully.

Marcie said...

Oh..Daniel - have been thinking of you..wondering what happened and how..and how it is that you are doing. Thrilled to see that you're feeling well enough to write about your experience..which has to be cathartic all and unto itself. The practice of yoga is never-ending.
Wishing you lots of love..and speedy healing!!!

Nicole Chow said...

WHAT?! I can't believe this is what happened to you! I knew you were in a car accident, but I had no idea that this is how the accident occurred. Oh Daniel, I am so sorry! Yet another reason why we shouldn't litter (or do a better job of disposing of things). I am so glad that you are okay and used your inner strength and inner peace to help you through this challenging time. Please be well! We are all thinking of you!

Caroline said...

So glad you are on the mend. Daniel you inspire us in so many ways!

Unknown said...

#1 I'm so glad you survived and that your injuries were only minor
#2 Thank you for this powerful reminder of what we have within our power on a daily basis. I agree 100% that your training and practice brought you through the moment and will continue to help you to recover. Best wishes for an easy recovery.

Anonymous said...

It seems ironic that your yoga training did not help you stay focused during the accident and to not panic or get trapped in fear and calmly reach up and remove the bag from your face.

Hope you heal well and fast.

Talya Lewin said...

WOW Daniel!!! What an experience. So crazy that it happened that way and you are so amazing in the way you took it.
Yoga - a life savor. :)
When are you coming to Israel?

XXXLuv
Talya

Maria Rose said...

Yikes! I had no idea this is how the car accident happened. Glad to hear you escaped with only minor injuries. I cant help but think how ironic it is that you are a classic vata in Ayurveda medicine and the wind (and litter) caused your accident! Bizarre. A little late, but wishing you a full recovery!