Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Foods for Healing Broken Bones

The body’s healing capabilities are amazing. Within a week my face went from completely swollen and bruised to almost normal. The body is designed to heal. Sometimes we just get in it’s way. This week, I’ve found my body naturally craving the foods that heal. 
Nutritionally I’ve focused on getting a large amount of uncooked fruits and vegetables for their cleansing properties. My main fruits have been papaya and pineapple as they both contain enzymes that heal skin and bruising. 
Pineapple contains Bromelain, an enzyme used to treat inflammation associated with infection and injuries. It tastes great when mixed in a shake with wheatgrass. 
Wheatgrass has a powerful anti-inflammatory effect. It can significantly enhance the healing process of fractures by reducing swelling and ceasing subcutaneous bleeding.
Adding green leafy vegetables purify and oxygenate the blood as well as promote circulation. Greens are also known to promote a subtle, light and flexible energy that helps lift the spirit and aid with depression. I’m finding light foods to be helpful, allowing me not to feel heavy while I physically limited in movement. 
Spirulina is another helpful super-green that I’ve been mixing with some juice or adding to a delicious chocolate shake. 
Proteins are important for the healing process and spirulina provides both the power of greens as well as the protein. Red meat is not recommended for bone healing due to its congesting density and its negative effects on calcium absorption. (other calcium “robbers” are processed sugars, caffeine, alcohol, and processed salts.)
Apples are helpful in healing bones as they contain Boron which reduces urinary excretion of calcium and magnesium and significantly increases blood levels of both estrogen and testosterone, both of which play a role in the healing of bones. 
I’ve been finding myself craving cheese and ice cream this week and am guessing that the sudden strong interest in dairy is due to the body’s need of calcium. 
While enjoying some of what I desire, I am also making sure to incorporate other calcium rich foods so that I don’t over indulge in the less healthy calcium providers. Many green, leafy vegetables — including broccoli, collard greens, kale, mustard greens, turnip greens and bok choy or Chinese cabbage — are excellent sources of calcium. Salmon and sardines (can be canned), almonds, figs, tofu, dates, oranges and dried beans (especially pinto beans) are also good dietary sources of calcium. 
Omega3 oils are important so adding flax meal or oil to my meals has been essential.  
The last booster I’ll mention is bee pollen, a full-spectrum blood building and rejuvenating food, especially beneficial in the healing of broken bones and new cell growth.  
Topically using homeopathic arnica gel has been amazingly noticeable in it’s effects on reduce the bruising and healing the skin. 
I’m on the mend!

3 comments:

Rachel1824 said...

Daniel, I've been out of town the last week and haven't been at the studio and didn't know about your terrible accident! I'm so happy you're healing and doing well!

I hope you're all mended soon.

~Rachel

Anonymous said...

SYMPHYTUM OFFICIONAL HOMEOPATHIC REMEDY
is good for healing broken/fractured bones.
It comes from Comfrey or "Knitbone".
Also TRAUMEEL IS VERY GOOD!

Talya Lewin said...

sending you lots of love and healing energy

chibuk
Talya