Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Is Alfalfa Really Healthy?

When I was a kid and my mother started adding alfalfa to our salads I was resistant to be eating what I called, horse food. Unknown to me then was that when the Arabs first discovered this food, they would feed it to their horses to provide them with its strengthening qualities. It was so highly thought of; al-fal-fa means “father of all foods.” Soon enough I too became accustomed to loving this sprout and grew up to be big and strong. 
The mighty alfalfa sprout is helpful in cleaning the intestinal tract and removing harmful acids out of the blood. Alfalfa can also help us assimilate proteins, fats and carbohydrates and is helpful in producing more milk in nursing mothers.
However, alfalfa does have its down side. In "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon, the author mentions that alfalfa has been shown to "inhibit the immune system and contribute to inflammatory arthritis and lupus". This is caused by an amino acid called canavanine.
As a sprout lover myself, I tend to have alfalfa in moderation. If buying alfalfa in the store, I tend to buy the kind that is mixed with other sprouts as well. For the most part, I eat broccoli and radish sprouts as they do not contain the canavanine. Some studies are saying that red clover sprouts contain canavanine as well and should be eaten in moderation. 
Click here for more information about sprouts. 
Click here to find out more about Sally Fallon's approach to health.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I grew up eating these too, and still buy them! Thanks for the useful info :)

SaFo said...

I love hearing about Daniel as a kid! :)