Sunday, June 27, 2010

Yoga In 'Limited' Motion

A week after a car accident, still limited in movement, my stretching routine currently consists of laying flat on the floor with my feet on a chair. As I lay flat, the muscles of my ribs are elongated and consequently begin to spasm. I stay in the position, breathing deeply until the spasms subside. Each small movement in the direction of stretching my arms over my head invites more tension. Laying on my back, waiting for a few breaths until the muscles relax and then moving a little further in to the stretch; this is my current yoga practice. 
Whether stretching in my current range of motion or going deep into a pose when I’m not injured, the benefits of the practice remain the same. Taking the body to its edge, learning to stay and breathe into discomfort, allowing the discomfort to consequently subside, and going deeper into a new range of possibility. 
I am often told by others “I’m not flexible enough for yoga.” Spending half an hour working to comfortably stretch my hand over my head has provided me with the same feeling of freedom that my usual vigorous practice does. To breathe into limitation, to work with whats currently there and to move forward from a place of ease. Yoga is not a pose, its a feeling, and it is accessible to all. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful. What you are writing about is what I think of as yoga from the inside out. I'm so sorry that you've been injured, but what you can share and inspire from this perspective is great. I wish more people understood this yoga from the inside out.

best wishes and love, Willow