Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Negative Body Image: On a Scale of 1-10... No Scale


Imagine a culture in which a society logged onto computers to measure how it felt. A time, in which people were so disassociated from their bodies they would need a machine to dictate their emotional state.

That time is here. Culturally we have reached a point of disembodiment. We step on the scale and let a number tell us how we feel about ourselves. We measure grams and calories as an assessment of how healthy we feel paying  scant attention to how the foods we eat (or don’t eat!) actually make us feel.

97 percent of women have at least one self-loathing "I hate my body" moment per day regardless of their shape or size.

We all have an intuitive understanding that love of the body and love of life are inseparable. Our bodies are the gateways to our spirits and when we retaliate against the body, we lose the path to our deeper sense of self and purpose.

While modern culture measures feminine value by appearance, the deeper feminine aspect (within men as well) is about being embodied, ever changing, sensuous, heart-felt, soul oriented, and nourished.

When we feel that our bodies don’t meet the cultural expectations, we abandon them and live from our intellect (which isn’t always the kinder of the two!) By abandoning the body, we abandon the true feminine self.

Hating  the body, we pull out of it emotionally, energetically, and metabolically.
Matters of weight, impaired digestion, fatigue, low immunity, mood swings, depression, or anxiety, often originate in disembodiment. The stress physiology stemming from our negative body image can cause the diminishment of calorie and fat burning capabilities.

We must learn to be in our bodies on their own terms. We can love our bodies and still want it to change them. But if we say to ourselves “I’ll only love you when you look a certain way,” it is like saying “I’ll only get in the car after it reaches its destination.” It’s an impossible journey if we’re not present for the ride.

Eliminate the practices that support the surface feminine. De-number yourself so that you’re not relying on something outside of you to tell you if you’re okay. When it comes to body image numbers numb us.  Looking to a machine to tell us how to feel is a form of insanity.

Eat for nourishment, not for appearance. Take away the scales and feel each day how your body feels. Move in ways that feel therapeutic (stop hating yourself into exercise and move in ways that you enjoy,) slow down during meals (yes the benefits far outweigh the discomfort,) and take a break from friends who self-loathe.

How many grams of love in a single serving?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Daniel,
I am back from 3 weeks of travel and work in South Africa and Mozambique. I am recovering from 10plane trips and road trips to rural areas on roads that long to be paved. Needless to say it all wreaks havoc on my system (although it was an excellent work trip!)I am learning to accept that I have to start over when I get home from these trips. To accept the time it takes to recover my equilibrium, to eat within the time change context I am now in, to allow my yoga asana poses to be basic--and to allow me to be.

I love your postings. I feel encouraged when I read them. You are special. Thank you for inspiring me to reach for balance AND joy. See you in the studio.
Susan

Unknown said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE what you wrote. I need to post this on my forehead.
Thanks for putting this into such eloquent words.
xo
Stacy